Know the difference between cloud-based and client/server EMR software
Cloud EMRs and client/server solutions are the two most commonly offered hosting options by EMR software vendors. Each solution has its pros and cons, so you should evaluate each type of system carefully before deciding to implement one or other.
- Low upfront cost. Instead of paying a large sum of money to purchase the EMR software, providers pay a smaller hosting fee each month.
- 24/7 access to health records. With cloud EMRs, authorized users can access the software from anywhere, as long as they have an Internet connection. This includes smartphones and tablets.
- No need for IT techs in-house. Cloud EMR systems are managed, maintained and kept secure by the software vendor’s own IT technicians.
- Secure data. With cloud-based EMR software, your data is stored on HIPAA-compliant off-site servers. This means it is safe from natural disasters, fires, or other events that might occur at the hospital or clinic.
Client Server EMR
- Higher upfront investment. To use a client/server model, physicians must pay the full price for the EMR. In many cases, it is also necessary to purchase a new server and computer workstations that meet the EMR software requirements.
- Complete control of your data. With client/server models, EMR data is stored directly on the hospital or practice’s server. This means you own the data and it isn’t managed by the EMR vendor.
- Need in-house IT staff. If you opt for a client/server model, the EMR vendor will not be responsible for performing system updates ensuring that your data is backed up and secure. You will need to have an experienced IT tech to do this for you.
- Offsite backups required. If there is a fire at your facility or your server malfunctions, all of your EMR data could be lost. You will want to make sure your data is backed up each day to an offsite server. This can be done manually or set to run automatically each night.
With most vendors allowing physicians to choose between the two different models, it is up to individual practices and hospitals to figure out which option suits their healthcare organization best. 1st Providers Choice can help you decide which EMR hosting model is right for you. Our IT consultants have experience working with practices and hospitals of all shapes and sizes, and we understand the unique needs of physicians in all types organizational situations.
Call 480-782-1116 today to speak with one of our EMR software experts and get started!